The birth of HMCS ST. JOHN'S
HMCS ST. JOHN’S, FFH 340, was built in Saint John, NB and commissioned on June 26, 1996 in St. John’s, NL. She is the eleventh of twelve HALIFAX Class Frigates and one of the most combat capable warships in the world.
Namesake City and History
Named after St. John’s, NL, a port city intrinsically associated with naval history and heritage, HMCS ST. JOHN’S is the first ship in the Canadian Navy to bear this proud name.
From the first visit by John Cabot in 1497, to the first permanent settlement in 1528, through to the present day, St. John’s has been home to the world’s seafarers. Over the centuries, the city has changed hands several times, between France and England, until becoming permanently British in 1762 where it served as a naval base, especially important during the American Revolutionary War and in the War of 1812. Equally important was her role during World War II. St. John’s harbour was a major port used by ships of the Royal Navy and the Royal Canadian Navy involved in convoy protection. It’s value was reflected in the enormous efforts of German U-Boats to mine and torpedo the harbour.
Missions and Operations
Since her commissioning, HMCS ST. JOHN’S has played and important role in Canada’s Navy. She has represented the fleet from Nova Scotia and the Grand Banks of Newfoundland to the Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea, in military exercises and operations and in conjunction with other government departments.
HMCS ST. JOHN’S also has a proud heritage in supporting local charities and charities in Newfoundland & Labrador. Originating the “Run the Rock” in 1996, members of the ship’s company have raised over one hundred and twenty two thousand dollars for the Children’s Wish Foundation of Newfoundland in their relay across Newfoundland.