Full name: Her Majesty's Canadian Ship D'IBERVILLE
The name D'IBERVILLE commemorates the great Pierre Le Moyne, sieur d'Iberville, a French sailor and explorer who was born in Ville-Marie, Montréal in 1661 and died in 1706. He fought the English in Hudson Bay and around Newfoundland (1686-1697), then established Louisiana, becoming the territory's first governor.
The Rimouski Naval Reserve Division was authorized in July 1986 and formed in August 1986, under the command of Lieutenant-Commander Gérard Lafontaine, CD. It was formally commissioned on November 14, 1987, with Vice-Admiral H.M.D. MacNeil, Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff, and the Honourable Monique Vézina, Minister of State Transport and guest of honour, attending. Along with HMC Ships CHAMPLAIN, in Chicoutimi, and RADISSON, in Trois-Rivières, HMCS D'IBERVILLE was Phase II of the Naval Presence in Quebec (NPIQ) Project, launched by the Department of National Defence in order to recruit more Francophones into the Canadian Navy and motivate them to make the Navy their career.
Role: To recruit, manage and train a ship's company for the different positions assigned by Naval Reserve Headquarters, and to ensure the competencies of the ship's company are kept up to date. Among these roles: obtaining the operational level when mobilized in the advent of war, mine warfare techniques, support to current naval centres and aid to the civil power in case of emergencies.
Crest: Argent, built upon Azure and Argent waves rises a battlemented bridge of three arches, masoned Sable; within the right arch a red rose of green leaves, thorned and seeded; within the left arch an Azure fleur-de-lis; surmounting the bridge a crest of the Arms of Pierre Le Moyne sieur d'Iberville Azure, with three roses surmounted by a crescent between two mullets, all Or.
The devices used attempt to show the role of HMCS D'IBERVILLE as a link between Canada's two official languages, as seen through the prism of the Navy.
The battlemented bridge, similar to a heraldic-style fortress, brings a defence context. The waves that support the bridge represent our naval foundation. The red rose represents the English language, and the blue fleur-de-lis represents the French. The crest also shows the arms of Pierre LeMoyne, Sieur d'Iberville, who gave his name to the ship.
Heritage: The first D'IBERVILLE was a Navy Recruit School whose goal was to increase the presence of of French-speaking Canadians in the Royal Canadian Navy. The school was commissioned in the city of Québec in October 1952, and paid off in July 1961. It shared facilities with HMCS MONTCALM on the Plains of Abraham, next door to the Grande-Allée Armouries.